Here at RadPad, we obviously love moving. However, we also know that moving can be stressful, especially if it is not planned out in advance and well organized. We have put together a list of tips in order to make your move as smooth as possible.
- 1. Plan ahead – There is nothing worse than having something go wrong on moving day, it will be stressful as it is. Make sure that you have reserved critical things you will need such as moving trucks and parking permits well in advance.
- 2. Obtain moving supplies a week or so in advance – Have any friends who moved recently? Ask them if you can use their boxes. If not, Home Depot has inexpensive boxes in all different shapes and sizes (including garment boxes for hanging clothes). Be sure to pick up lots of packing tape and packing tissue paper.
- 3. Get started on the kitchen early – Do you know how much stuff you have in your kitchen? Tons! The cabinets do a good job of hiding exactly how much. Set aside ample time to pack the kitchen carefully as it also houses most of your breakables. TIP: Don’t stack plates, glasses or mugs flat – make sure you have packing tissue between them all.
- 4. Mind what you pack – Don’t overpack boxes so they are bursting at the seams. Also, make sure that you can actually lift your boxes. Pay particular attention to how many books you pack in each box, the weight adds up fast.
- 5. Clearly label everything – Invest in a thick Sharpie and label excessively. You can thank us later!
- 6. Take generous amounts of photos – Take 360° pictures of your apartments before and after you move, just incase the rental company or landlord gets shady. Make sure to do this before you move all your stuff in or after you have moved it out. Document problems (i.e. broken things, stains, etc.) closely.
- 7. Get your friends and family to help – Order a few pizzas and some drinks (don’t be stingy!) and get your friends to help out. This will help you keep your head on straight on moving day. Make sure to thank them with an awesome housewarming party (and if they ever ask you to return the favor)!
Also, make sure to download and use our handy moving checklist. This covers EVERYTHING. We’ve got one that is specific to Los Angeles and one that is generic to share with your friends, no matter where they live.